Monday, June 4, 2012

Meet Billie Sue Mosiman

Today I'm talking with Billie Sue Mosiman. If you haven't met her or friended her on Facebook, you should go do so right now. She's down to earth, friendly, and always willing to help another author out. What more could you ask for in an award winning author?

Billie Sue happens to be giving away a shit pot load of FREE books in celebration of her birthday tomorrow. That's right, it's her birthday, but you're getting gifts. I told you she was sweet. You can see just which ones she's giving away here.

Also, I read one of the FREE stories- Dark Reality. You can read my review over at See Spot Read. Go on, I'll wait. Back? Sweet! Here's Billie Sue~

How long have you been writing? Since I was a kid. I began crafting short stories around eighteen years old. I wasn't a very good writer until my thirties.

What's the first thing you had published? It was a non-fiction piece for a book called Successful Housewife Writers. The first piece of fiction I had published was a short story in HORROR SHOW, I believe it was, and a novel, both sold in the same month.

Do you write full time or do you have a day job? I write full time. I’ve never been good at jobs. I tend to have a wandering mind, not paying attention to the work for other people. I make a very bad employee.

What is your writing routine? I used to get up and begin writing right away. Nowadays I write when I feel like it, maybe 3-4 days a week although every day is spent thinking about stories, researching stories, reading them, or promoting them.

Have you always been a fan of the Horror genre? I came to it after I was older. In the beginning I was into literary novels and classics.

What scares you? Any silly phobias? The idea of drowning scares me or of falling from a great height. I have a small phobia about riding in cars in traffic. If it is a small car I panic. The bigger the vehicle, the safer I feel.

What other writers do you admire? I admire Ed Gorman, Scott Smith, Stephen King, and in the classic writers, I admire F. Scott Fitzgerald, Steinbeck, and Flannery O’Connor. I like a lot of the new writers on the scene, particularly Bryan Hall and Franklin E. Wales.

What is your favorite thing about the Indie Movement? The control and the community. It’s about time authors had more control over their works. Traditional publishing did well by me and I have few complaints, but now that I am doing my own thing, I can see how much more leeway I’m afforded, how much creativity I can indulge. One never realizes the constraints until they are taken off. I also like the non-competitive (mostly) atmosphere surrounding the Indie movement. It’s a whole new world in publishing and I embrace it totally.

Best writing advice you've ever been given? “Don't fall for the romantic notion of the 'writer' who boozes, does drugs, and acts outrageous. Live a quiet life and concentrate on the work.”



What advice would you give any newbies out there? If they would like to follow my path they would read tons of books, especially in their genre, but also all the great writers of the past. Without a background in literature, a writer’s style might not mature into a distinctive style. They would write a million words before worrying about publishing. They would love writing with all their heart and care more about storytelling than anything else—more than about selling or making money or getting fame and attention. They would help their colleagues when they could and do no harm to them if they could help it. They would stand up for their rights, always, and never back down from bullies or from people who tell them they can’t do it. They would listen to their inner muse and the rest of the world be damned. They would expect perfection from themselves, or as near to it as they can come. They would not give up, if storytelling means anything to them, not until their dying day. They would enjoy the creative life, knowing they are blessed, and stay grateful and not big-headed. They would understand it's important to write fiction that entertains over trying to teach or edify their readers. They would write, write, write.

Bio:

Author of 14 novels, 160+ short stories, Edgar and Stoker Nominee, writer of suspense and horror fiction. Traditionally published 13 of her novels and all her stories, which were in various magazines and anthologies. In 2011 decided to go Indie and published BANISHED and many short stories and novelettes.
blog:
http://www.peculiarwriter.blogspot.com
FB: http://www.facebook.com/billiesuemosiman
Twitter: @EdgarNominee

Thank you, Billie, for stopping by. And thank you, readers, for coming over as well.

♥Stacey

No comments: