Saturday, May 7, 2011

An Author Page

Everyone says that you need an "Author Page". And by everyone, I do mean everyone. It's to showcase your work, draw a fan base and show the interwebz that you are serious about your writing. Well, anyone who knows me, knows that. But for those of you don't, let me state it here. I am serious about my writing. I discovered that I can't give it up, therefore I must get serious about it. I've also discovered that it is all mine. What does that mean? It means that no amount of my writing self worth is based upon my husband or children. I love them dearly, but I've spent the majority of my life being some one's daughter, some one's wife or some one's mother. Some days, I began to wonder who I really was. For me, writing answers that question. And I suppose that's a good enough reason to write.

I also write because my head is full of stories, constantly, at all times. I see things or remember snippets of conversation and think "what if?' and I'm off on a tangent. If I'm writing for business (ie: freelancing), I can multitask...pause for conversation, have the TV in the background, ect. If I'm writing fiction it's the opposite. I prefer to be alone with very few distractions. Unfortunately, what I prefer and what I get are often different things. My family is very spoiled and they do not like to be ignored. Luckily, they are all busy people so I can usually get about three days with very little distraction per week. I cherish this time. I guard it zealously. I will not answer the phone, texts, the door (not that anyone knocks at my house, they just come in) and I often forget to eat, take a break or anything else. Case in point- today I took a break at lunchtime because my hubby came in for a few minutes. I took a shower, put supper in the crock pot, went through the mail and ate. That was 5 1/2 hours ago. I have not left the computer. I forgot to go and stir the dinner and turn the crock pot to low. I'm almost afraid to go look at it. I've also just realized I need to pee. Badly.

So anyway, welcome to my page. Please feel free to browse around and leave a comment. I will be making additions and adding whirligigs as time goes by. I will also soon move my author interviews from my other blog to here as this is a more appropriate place for them.

Do you get caught up in your writing?

♥Spot (otherwise know as Stacey)

1 comment:

Scott Niven said...

I'm honored to be your first follower on your "author" page! And even though I haven't known you long, I already knew you were serious about your writing! :)