Thursday, December 1, 2011

Apparently, I can't do it all...

That's right. As much as it pains me to have to admit it- I can't do it all. Something has to give. And I don't want to place any blame here but this is the conversation I had with my husband last night~

Me: I'm sorry I snapped on you earlier, but I just don't see why dinner is always my responsibility. With the exception of the baby, everyone else in this house is an adult and perfectly capable of cooking dinner. Except Molly, who burns soup.

Mike: I don't make the rules, baby. That's just how it is.

Me: Well, Luke works full time, I get that. Molly busts her butt around the house, doing dishes, laundry and keeping it straight. Sean does whatever I ask him too, although he could pitch in more. I work full time, even though it's from home. And you work full time, but I'm not really sure what you do around the house? You used to clean the cat boxes but Molly took that over and you used to do garbage, but Luke does that most of the time. What is your chore again?

Mike: I don't know, but if you think of one, let me know so I can pawn that off on someone else too!

We really did have this conversation. And he really was joking (I think). And the level of household chores/responsibility is seriously skewed in our household. I will take responsibility, they were all babied far too long and its hard to wean them. But family matters aside, business is booming.

Angelic Knight Press has hit the ground running and we have a full release schedule. That means that I'm so busy editing, I can hardly see straight. Then there are other business related tasks to take care of at the press and trying to squeeze out some of my own writing. Its enough to make my head spin. Don't get me wrong- I love it. Absolutely love it! But as I mentioned before, something has to give. So I'm taking down the freelance proofreader/editor shingle. I will no longer be accepting side jobs (with the exception of former customers). I really still feel strongly about everyone needing good editing, I just no longer have the time to do it myself.

I would like to thank all of those who have sought my services. I've met some great people through freelancing and read some amazing books. I've been fortunate enough to have my editing credentials on some fabulous stories. Should things lighten up, I'll hang out my shingle again, but I've got my fingers crossed that they don't and the press stays busy for a long time to come!

♥Stacey

5 comments:

Blaze McRob said...

I have a feeling I know what you're talking about, my friend. These are exciting times for Angelic Knight Press and very busy times as well. If everyone knew of everything on the horizon for us and our authors, their heads would spin too! Now there's a story!

You know some of the plans that only a few are privy to. We have a goal; a mission: to our readers , our authors, and our team. I am willing to sacrifice to make our dreams come true.

I hope to keep you spinning around for a while.

Maybe I could come to your house and show folks how not to burn soup. Let me dust the snow off my bicycle.

I am sooo glad you're my Editor, and happier that you're my friend.

Blaze

Cindy Keen Reynders said...

Oh my heck, I burn soup, too! Tomato to be exact. That stuff is raunchy if you burn it--stings your nostrils! House is permeated with the stench. I'll never live that down and my husband constantly ribs me about it. BTW, my hubby manages to "not" really do anything around the house, too. Although he's applying to be a retired husband right now, and when he was taking a few vacation days, he cooked, did laundry, shopped and picked up the dry cleaning. He wants to retire before I do, see, and he's trying to impress me with his macho skills. Calls himself "Toby" when he's taking care of the house. Great post, Stacey!

Claudia Lefeve said...

I just came to that realization myself...we can't do everything! But then again, it's nice to know we have so much to, because we are so needed :)

I almost cried out when you said no more freelance editing...until I saw, except for former clients...whew!!!

If it makes you feel any better...I asked hubby to go to the store last night to get dog food. I don't realize until this morning that there is no dog food. Apparently, he forgot and only picked up wine. Too bad for him...I woke him up and made him go back!

Spot said...

Blaze- its true, we are on a roll right now, and I don't want anything to stop that momentum. I'm happy to be both your editor and friend!

Cindy- that cracks me up! So his goal is to convince you that he'll be such a good houseboy that he should get to retire? Nice plan. I think Mike will hunt way to much when he retires to be a good houseboy. I'm stuck with the household errands regardless of how much I try to ignore them. =]

Claudia- I'm sorry to scare you. No, your books are safe, I will definitely continue to edit for you. Its a pleasure. Its hard to realize that we aren't quite the superwomen we thought we were, but I am thankful to be needed and to have such great opportunities!

♥Stacey

Blaze McRob said...

Let's make up a list of who I have to teach to cook soup. Cindy lives close to me, so I guess she's first.

I make a mean Blackened Salmon to go along with a number of soups.

Once more, Stacey, thank you for all you do. We will keep you busy.

Blaze